Monday, April 14, 2008

my story

I will tell you my story in several different writings. My hope and prayer is that God will be glorified and that someone that reads this will find help.
Perhaps my story is somewhat like your story.
My earliest memories of being overweight are when I was about 8 years old. I remember being larger than the other children. I know that I began a relationship with food even at that age. I sat in the back seat of the car after trick or treating and ate the whole bag of candy in about 10 minutes. I remember eating a whole stack of pancakes for supper and sneaking into my Moms desserts and eating a good portion before it could be served.
I think what triggered this was feeling ashamed of who I was and since negative emotional expresssions such as anger were not allowed in my home I learned to stuff them.
I fell and broke my nose when I was 5 and it was mashed to the side of my face. The plastic surgeeon would not do surgery until I reached my full growth so I spent my childhood looking very odd. I became ashamed of my face and always tried to keep my hand over my nose so noone could see how ugly I was.

That is enough of my story for today. Man looks at the outward appearance but God looks at the heart.
For those of us who have struggled with eating disorders there is usually an emotional hurt underneath. If we can get to the root of that and grieve out the hurt and bring our honest feelings before the Lord He will begin to heal us.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. Your story has touched my heart, and through it God is ministering to me. I pray tonight that you feel completely loved and accepted by God.